Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Research mission at Conor Byrne Pub in Ballard

I don't think this calls for organizational travel subsidy, but it looks like I will sneak in a little Poetry Scores talent scouting this week while I am in Seattle to attend a journalism conference.

It started when I asked my FaceBook friends if anyone knew of a creative musician in Seattle who might be willing to write songs with me at night after my conference sessions come to an end.

Amanda Doyle put me in touch with her high school friend Athima Chansanchai, a reporter at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. She in turn thought of her friend Lino, but he declined, saying he didn't really jam.

Neither do I and that's not what I was looking for, but third-person conversations handled via social networking sites by people who don't know one another have their limititations.

However, Athima reported, Lino's band Bandolier had a gig on Thursday night at a pub in Ballard that she planned to check out. I invited myself along, and she said sure, she would swing by and pick me up.

Looking into this gig, I discovered a really interesting triple bill. Listening through the songs posted on their MySpace pages, I see not one but three candidates for future collaborations on Poetry Scores:

Bandolier

I especially love that band name, "Bandolier". It's so Subcomandante Marcos!

No comments: