Monday, August 24, 2009

Dana Smith confirms for 2009 Art Invitational

Dana Smith confirmed for the 2009 Poetry Scores Art Invitational, which made me really happy. I wasn't exactly surprised, since Dana has helped us out before, but I reserve the right to be happy even when I am not surprised.


Maybe I was surprised because of what I remembered of Dana's work. I wouldn't want to admit to limiting the artistic range of a friend unfairly, but because I associated Dana with painting musicians and other human figures I really hadn't figured him as a vertical space, architectural artist.


What does that have to do with anything? The 2009 Poetry Scores Art Invitational is devoted to the Australian poet Les Murray's great meditation on modernity and vertical space, The Sydney Highrise Variations.


What's more, Dana chose as the subject and title for the painting he will submit to the show a phrase that disguises the phallic (Freudian) character of vertical space archictecture: "Freud's cobwebbed poem".

For our Art Invitational, artists make work in response to the poem we are scoring and give the work a title that is drawn verbatim from it. The poem then in effect hangs the show, as we place work on the walls based on where in the flow of the poem the language used for the title appears.

The Invitational will be held Friday, Nov. 13 at The Luminary Center for the Arts, 4900 Reber Place at South Kingshighway, right across from Tower Grove Park and a block and a skip from The Royale, where we will have the afterparty.

*

All images from Dana Smith paintings.